Friday 21 November 2014

I Was Spoiled!

Ok, so I know I mentioned in my personal description that I'm absolutely opposed to braid-outs and twist-outs. But! You wouldn't believe it. I'm so hooked on it right now! 
I can't even believe it myself, but it's true. I got spoiled by my first real braidout. I had tried it before but was never fond of the look. My hair was much shorter at the time, so that could probably account for my disinterest in the look of it. 

On my recent relaxer (November) I had decided to try more braid-out styles in order to protect my freshly relaxed hair. I wanted to do this because I realized I was experiencing a lot of breakage leading up to that date. Yes, I used to flat iron my hair religiously every week, once a week on my wash day. However, it's so hard to upkeep my hair when new growth comes in. At the hairdresser's, she told me I had indeed reached bra-strap length (my goal) but due to breakage and the need to level my ends, I allowed her to give me a professional trim. So currently, I'm just a little further than armpit length. I'm not bothered by that, I like when she trims my hair, and I'd much rather have a head of healthy strands root to end.

Enough of that now. I washed my hair a week after relaxing (Yes, I need to, I get a lot of buildup). Then attempted my first braid-out. I applied my products, parted my hair into four sections, and gently detangled and braided each section. I let it air dry overnight. Oh My Gosh, I was too excited to open those braids the following morning! When I did, I was so in love with the result. I had these big soft pretty curls that looked as if I were naturally curly. I couldn't believe it! For the entire week I kept my hair out, and that's So not a norm for me. My hair was literally so Soft and bouncy! I was absolutely in love! I experimented with a few styles, nothing fancy. For the most, I either did a high messy bun or half-up half-down style.
  I'll definitely be doing a lot more braid-outs. I also plan to try different options like bantu knots, twist-outs, pin curls, flexi rods, etc. All of these techniques I have tried already, but now I'll work on perfecting them. I feel so much more free and happier with my hair like this. It suits me well because I'm not a person who loves having perfect hair. Messy buns and loose waves have been my go-to everyday and special occasion styles for a while (Except if I have a performance, then I'll go all out). By the way, haha, by the second week of washing, I happened to flat iron my hair and that didn't go well. I felt so restricted, it didn't have much movement. I couldn't stand having my hair up against my scalp; and from the time I saw hairs breaking off to style it, I co-washed it within 4-5 days. It's immobility could be due to the fact that I tried a shea butter pre-poo treatment and didn't shampoo it out properly. 

Anyway! I've found my new do! I'm gonna try to use these protective styles as much as possible now.

 

Til next time. Xoxo, Shanz


1 comment:

  1. Happy you reached your goal Shanz..... I am also tryna reach my long sexy pony tail goal but the breakage keeps pulling me back!!! Arghh ....what products do you use? Lemme give em a try.

    Lau ♥

    ReplyDelete