Friday 15 July 2016

Hair Tip: How To Protect Your Hair Under Braids

        Recently, I have been sporting a variety of cornrow braided styles. It's my go-to look for Summer Sixteen (2016). It works great as a protective style as its gentle on my edges and keeps my hair out of my face. However, even though I wear protective styles, I find it very important that my hair itself doesn't get neglected. Personally, I take down my braids once a week and do a full wash routine. Here are a few tips to consider when wearing protective styles like cornrow braids. Also note that some of these tips are adaptable for other protective hairstyles. 


  1. Oil your scalp. It's important to oil the exposed scalp areas in between cornrows. It prevents and soothes itching, along with other benefits of oiling the scalp. I use a mix of Jamaican Black Castor Oil and Jojoba Oil for this step. Other carrier oils like Coconut Oil, Avocado Oil and Olive Oil work just as well. Each of these oils are known for their anti-fungal properties which help fight dry scalp and dandruff. For added benefit, I cover my head in a plastic cap for 5-10 minutes after massaging in the oil. This helps to open up the cuticles thus allowing the oil to penetrate the scalp.
   



  2. Oil your edges. Along with oiling your scalp, it's also essential to apply some oil to your edges. Yeah I know how you'll ladies love to slay those edges! Keep in mind, however, all the gels and edge control can actually be detrimental to your hair. Hence, applying a bit of oil along your hairline helps prevent possible damage. Oils such as Jamaican Black Castor Oil and Coconut Oil help stimulate the scalp and promote hair growth. Its a great way of regrowing your edges whilst wearing protective styles. 




 3. Moisturize your hair. The good thing about cornrow braids is that your ends are well protected even though your hair isn't exactly hidden (like under a wig or sew in). At the same time, you should pay special attention to the hair that is exposed. When wearing cornrows, I like to apply moisturizer or leave in directly on top of the braids, all the way down the length of my hair. I stop just before my hair ends and the braid weave continues. This helps to keep my hair well conditioned, soft and shiny in the hairstyle.




  4. Use a spray. Using any sort of moisturizing mist, braid sheen or anti-itch spray helps a great deal with this protective hairstyle. It provides shine to your hair and the braid weave which keeps the style looking fresh. The spray also acts as a sealant after applying moisturizer (or leave in conditioner). The anti-itch spray provides added benefits with the scalp oil massage. I often simply spray water onto my scalp to relieve itching. and to help easily spread the thicker oils like Jamaican Black Castor Oil.




  5. Wrap your hair. One of the most important habits in hair care is to wrap your hair at night. Its especially necessary for this particular style as it keeps the hairstyle neat, as well as, locks in moisture and protects your hair from frizz. Wrapping your hair is not limited to night time. You can keep your style wrapped in your down time or while doing chores, etc. 



        There you go! Five simple tips for keeping your hair maintained in protective styles like cornrow braids. These tips can be used daily or as needed depending on your hair. The main goal is to still have healthy hair once the style is taken down.  And remember, each of these tips can be easily adapted for box braids, twists, and even wigs or weaves.


Til Next Time. Xoxo, Shanz





1 comment:

  1. Such an amazing piece of content, loved reading it till rest. hauteher for girls only

    ReplyDelete